Sunday, February 27, 2011

MADHousers Shelter Deploy with guest builders: Architecture for Humanity Atlanta Chapter on 2.27.11

Awesome Awesome Awesome Day !!!

Today we Deployed the HiHat Shelter as Architecture for Humanity Atlanta Chapter acted as guest builders for the MADHousers organization. --- Everyone came together, all stars aligned, and the god(s) were smiling down on us. The Energy today was almost tangible. It was an excellent Shelter Deploy. Thank You so much to all the good folks who came together to make it happen.

We deployed a HiHat with about 14 Volunteers in under 5 hours (including travel time and total assembly, including panel assembly, roofing, and painting). The Shelter was the best looking Shelter I had seen in my 3 years with the MADHousers. Everybody worked fast, fun , and safe. Most importantly, the client was excited to have a new place.



On my drive home, I couldn't help but at first feel very proud of my accomplishment (Designing) & Building Homeless Shelters; fulfilling a Goal that I had set for myself after coming to Atlanta and seeing the problems of Big City poverty. As I drove toward my house, I reflected on the day. I initially felt great, radiating with a warm feeling inside getting better and better, lifting me higher and higher until I was enveloped an emanating aura of good energy. I felt a real sense of accomplishment, reaching some of my own goals while spreading positive energy into the world. I felt proud, happy, and relieved things went well. But, in the process of reflection, I began questioning if I had done enough, or if I had even done the right thing, then all at once, all that proud happiness boiled over into a powerful sadness. As tears filled my eyes, I thought about what my efforts had accomplished, and realized that I could only do so much. All my hard work and turmoil, and I had barely scratched the surface of what I felt needed to be done. Maybe it was the feeling of being overwhelmed, or maybe it was the first hand reminder of extreme poverty and social instability. Whatever it was, I couldn't fight my tears of joy woven through a powerful range of emotions. It has taken several hours to begin to understand this special moment. I feel blessed today. What a Powerful Day. I can't wait until the next Build & Deploy. Special Thanks to everybody who attended! Special Thanks to the MADHousers !!!
I feel alive today!

No comments:

Post a Comment